Monday, August 11, 2014

Harvest Monday, 11 August 2014

Let's start with the good this week. And that would be corn. I harvested corn five days this week. Yesterday I even harvested enough to freeze. I've been sending some over to our townhouse mates. It isn't as perfectly pollinated as last year. This corn seems to put out its pollen later in the day. I'm used to the morning pollen. So I hand pollinated it during the morning. I noticed there wasn't much pollen at all when I did it. Once when I was out just before lunch I knocked them and pollen was everywhere. I always figured all corn was the same. At least I know for next year.

I was good and caught up on the chard. The first one was a large enough harvest to get two servings to freeze.

I harvested the early Copras and the rest of the Ailsa Craig sweet onions. Most of the latter had been eaten over time, but I had a decent amount to store. For a sweet onion it keeps pretty well, but not longer than two months, so they get eaten first. There were four braids of onions. Three of Copra and one of Ailsa Craig. In one or two weeks the rest of the storage onions will be dry and I'll braid those up.

Not all my alliums are bulbing onions. The bunching onions are getting harvested and used too. In addition to the bunch above for me, I gave a bunch to a friend that was visiting. I have way too many of these in the garden. I didn't weight that bunch. Things do slip through, though usually it is the herbs that don't get weighed.

I had a lot of the typical cuke and beans baskets. They often come with something else, be it broccoli, zucchini, herbs, or beets. I have a lot more photos, but I'll spare you the repetition. Let's just say I could use less cucumbers. I harvested 15 pounds of them this week. If I'm really trying I might be able to eat half of that, but usually not even that much. I did give away a couple of batches of them, but I need to give some more away this week. It is way, way too many cucumbers. If this keeps up it will be my best cucumber year ever - or the worst depending upon how you look at it. I hate throwing produce into the compost pile. I do see signs of them slowing down, but not quickly.

But until they stop I'm eating lunches like these (though often with carrot sticks too). I do love my cucumber salads.

In other good news the peaches have started. I did pick them just a tad too early. It took them four days to ripen on the counter. I'm getting impatient with them. Last year I started picking them in July. This year they are taking longer.

The autumn raspberries have started too. I'm so happy. I've been going out every morning to see what I can put on my cereal. Sometimes it is a small handful. The worst morning it was just two. But I'll take even two. They are so good.

Now for the bad news. I had to rip up a lot of the celery due to mosaic virus. I'll probably have to do the rest this week. This makes me really sad as the plants really like the cool fall weather and they would put on a lot more growth. I've never seen this in my garden before and I wonder where it came from. From the celeriac seeds? I'm not really sure.

  • Alliums: 30.34 lbs
  • Beans: 0.86 lbs
  • Broccoli: 1.98 lbs
  • Corn: 9.67 lbs
  • Cucumbers 15.51 lbs
  • Greens: 2.54 lbs
  • Herbs: 0.79 lbs
  • Roots: 1.11 lbs
  • Squash, Summer: 0.74 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 63.54 lbs
  • Yearly Total: 270.20 lbs
  • Yearly Tally: $293.80

  • Fruit
  • Raspberries: 0.21 lbs
  • Peaches: 3.46 lbs
  • Weekly Total: 3.67 lbs, $12.85
  • Yearly total: 12.89 lbs, $55.25

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvests, Daphne! The corn so looks good! I bet your husband is happily enjoying it. The peaches look wonderful too and of course I love your braided onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had "way too many" bunching onions in my garden! I never manage to produce more than a small handful. Likewise with Raspberries - usually only a few at a time, and I never have the discipline to save them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely corn and onions! Too bad about the celery though. That disease is a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No cobs for us yet and no peaches either as the tree succumbed to peach leaf curl and will be moving into the greenhouse got next year. along with the nectarine and apricot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and varied harvest. I gave up trying to braid onions and garlic mine never look like yours I lack the skills and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice corn and peaches. I removed all my bunching which were from last year and bolting. I seeded a new patch elsewhere and those seeds won't germinate of course. But the self-seeded onions are sprouting, so I too will have bunching onions all over the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That corn! Those onion braids! And peaches! That is summer in food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking harvest! Your corn looks awesome! I will have to try growing some corn next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous harvest, love those huge onions and beautiful corn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great harvests. My Honey Select is behind yours (as always) but hopefully won't be long now. I wonder what cucumber juice would be like? At least you could sure use them up that way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those onions braids look amazing. As do the corn and peaches...yum yum. They both must have been so wonderfully sweet. I have yet to harvest any bunching onions - mine are supposed to multiply and I am patiently waiting for them to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a harvest week for you. I do so love fresh corn. There is just nothing like it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. My corn is only 3 feet tall ... first time growing it, so don't know if something is wrong or maybe it's fine for this time of year in this area. Your corn looks terrific as do the onions. It's a shame about the celery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful harvest! The corn looks SO GOOD. And I'm very impressed with all of those cucumbers! Will you be pickling them or preserving them somehow? Sorry about your celery. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big week! Thirty pounds of alliums, wow. And 15 pounds of cukes, those are prolific, worse than my zucchini. :) What a shame about the celery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge week!! I could never do 65 pounds without tomatoes! It amazes me how much you harvest without those veggies your allergic too. You corn is making my mouth water!! We should be able to start harvesting our any day now!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the celery but the corns, onion braids plus all others are beautiful though. Drooling over your cuke salad, I lost my cucumber plants to bugs :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely harvest that I just admire. I am hoping to grow some sweetcorn next year, just need to be more organised and a better gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice variety this week!! Love your corn and peaches!!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The corn....wow! I never get such a full pollination. Also my corn in general is looking poor this year, had bad germination so planted a few out and direct sowed the rest...they're not doing very well....sigh! But the dwarf beans I have growing under them have put up a good show so all is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seeing that corn makes me want to grow some next year, if only there was more space. This is my first year growing bunching onions, I hope they are mild. I hear you on the cukes - too many too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Envious of the onions. I've never been able to grow them from seed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So what exactly is mosaic virus? Some of my celeriac has oddly twisted leaves and speckles...irst time I've seen it in my garden (and I am near you, in CT.) Why must you tear the affected plants out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because they were dying. The new inside leaves were brown and dead. Nothing new was going to grow from the plant. So there was no reason to keep it in the ground.

      Delete
  24. Every week that I see your chard, I am amazed at how perfect it is! My plants are doing a little better now, but many of the leaves are holey from where the bugs have eaten. Your onion braids are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness that corn looks fabulous!!! I'm growing the same variety and at least I can see how lovely it is supposed to look. I wish my corn had done better this year. Those peaches and raspberries look delicious too. I plan to get some peach trees planted this winter, but it's going to be a long time before I get to harvest anything.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My corn hasn't materialised yet! Hopefully it will soon. Great harvest btw :o)

    ReplyDelete