Monday, August 24, 2015

Harvest Monday, 24 August 2015

Though my peaches have all been picked, fruit still takes the starring role this week. My first melons were picked. Usually I get an intense two weeks of melons and then they are gone. I tried to time it so they would be ripe when my mom and MIL were here, and they are showing up today, so I succeeded.

I also picked corn several times. I wanted my corn to be late enough for the parents too. And I could have planted them even a week earlier. Corn is easier to time though as I have a month long window of picking.

I picked and froze a lot of basil.

And I'm still picking zucchini and cucumbers. I got one baseball bat of a zucchini this week as I missed picking a day. They grow so fast if you let them. I usually let them grow one day after they have pollinated and closed up. Two days is too long. I took the seeds out and grated it for bread in the winter. In addition I got another picking of the amaranth. It is struggling next to the zucchini. I try to keep the zucchini leaves off of it, but it is a hopeless cause.

I finished up all of my sweet onions, so now I've started bringing in the red onions when I need them. They are almost done curing outside.

  • Alliums, 1.09 lbs
  • Corn, 3.53 lbs
  • Cucumbers, 4.09 lbs
  • Greens, 0.75 lbs
  • Herbs, 1.29 lbs
  • Melons, 9.80 lbs
  • Summer Squash, 5.39 lbs
  • Weekly total, 25.94
  • Yearly total, 360.36 lbs, $768.70

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

24 comments:

  1. Love the color of your red onion, what variety is it?
    Have a great time with your Mom and MIL they are in for so many treats from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you remove my link as I made a mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful melons. Late August is definitely a good time to visit a gardener, hope they have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your melons. They look so good. Have a great visit with your family. I bet you will be feeding them lots of garden goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those melons are perfect. I'm sure they tasted as good as they look. What variety is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Halona. They seem to do very well here.

      Delete
  6. Those melons look delicious - I can almost smell them! And that basil is impressive, considering your issues with downy mildew earlier on - is this from the same planting or did you do a different planting or variety later? I would have assumed that if you had it, there was no way to salvage the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a second planting after I lost the first batch.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful harvest, and melons look fantastic. I've got first melon picked but it's very small. Will research to see what varieties grow well here in northern areas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Your melons make one's mouth water! Lucky parents! I wondered if I should try to grow corn in a tote and if that would work. You have a hummy harvest still. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom was in town this weekend -- we went out of our way to try to have *something* to impress when she arrived. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this time of year. Anything not growing in my garden will be available at the farmers' markets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man those melons look fantastic!! We are still about a week away, but getting close!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's some great looking produce you're getting. Our cukes and zukes have bitten the dust, but we too are bringing in some beautiful melons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your timing! Always nice to have the garden producing well for family visiting. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm drooling over your melons, I started my seeds late this summer, the biggest one I have is about size of a quarter, not sure there's enough time for them to mature.
    Have a good time with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful looking melons. I got my plants started late so I'm hoping we have a nice long warm autumn. It looks like you are getting a decent harvest of zucchini now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Getting the veg to stick to a timetable is never easy! Hope the older generation were duly impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha, I had a couple of "baseball bats" this week too. Really fantastic melons!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, the melons are brilliant - I love melon but never buy it as it would have to travel a long way. One day I'll give them a go myself, maybe when I get the greenhouse on the allotment sorted, whenever that may be (it's been several years already sat in pieces down there!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your schedule for picking the Zucchini. It always gets away from me. Both your corn and your melons look great. Glad your timing worked and you can share your bounty with the Moms.

    ReplyDelete